Arugula and Sage with Fresh Blueberries, Dried Cranberries and Orange Dressing
- Course/Dish: Salads
- Meals: Lunch, Dinner
- Main Ingredient: Lemon, Cranberry
- Difficulty: Easy
- Rainbow Green Cuisine: Phase 2
- Serves: 3-4
This salad combines delicious tender arugula with berries both fresh and dried, herbs, onions and a flavor rich orange dressing. The sweet and tangy dressing is also great over other varieties of greens, grilled vegetables or a grain-based salad.
Arugula, I used 1 package of pre-washed baby arugula
1/4 cup fresh sage, thinly sliced/chiffonade *
2-3 thinly sliced red onion rings, cut in half and separated
1 package [4.4 oz] fresh blueberries
1/3 cup dried cranberries
sunflower seeds and orange zest, optional
1 tablespoon orange peel zest
1/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh sage
1 teaspoon agave, or preferred sweetener, optional
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon each sea salt and fresh ground white pepper, or to taste
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1) In a large bowl add arugula, sage, red onion, blueberries, and dried cranberries.
2) Add about 1/4 cup orange dressing and toss to coat. Divide salad between 4 salad plates or bowls.
3) Top the salad with a sprinkle of sunflower seeds and some orange zest.
1) Add all ingredient, except the olive oil, in a small bowl. Whisk together. Then gradually whisk in the olive oil until the mixture has thickened. Use as much as needed to dress a salad or vegetables.
2) Refrigerate the rest in an airtight container up to one week. Bring the dressing to room temperature and whisk before using.
Dressing yield is 2/3 cup
* Chiffonade is a cutting technique that you can use to cut up any flat leafy food, herbs like basil, or leafy greens like spinach.