Fresh Berry Tarts
- Course/Dish: Pies
- Main Ingredient: Lemon, Raspberry, Cashews, Almonds, Flax
- Difficulty: Easy
- Equipment Needed: Food Processor
- Rainbow Green Cuisine: Phase 2
- Serves: 6
Enjoy this delicate and enchanting recipe by Hannah Mendenhall of Immer Wachen. She has combined a crust of almonds, flax, buckwheat flour, coconut oil and maple syrup with a creamy cashew filling sweetened with fresh honey and flavored with lemon juice and vanilla extract. The result is a blend of perfectly balanced flavors and texture. For the best effect use a combination of fresh summer berries like blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, and marionberries.
2 c almonds (soaked and dehydrated)
1 c golden flax seed
1 c coconut oil
1/2 c *buckwheat flour
2 T maple syrup
1/2 t Celtic Sea salt
4 c cashews (soaked)
1 c raw honey
1/2 c lemon juice
2 t vanilla extract
1) First, make the crust by grinding the flax seeds and dehydrated almonds into a flour and mixing with other ingredients in a food processor
2) Press into tart pans and refrigerate until firm.
3) For the filling, process or blend all ingredients until creamy. Pour into crust and let set and then/or top with fresh berries and enjoy!
*buckwheat flour can be made by taking soaked and sprouted buckwheat groats, drying them, and grinding them in a food processor or coffee grinder.