Caramel Apple Pie
- Course/Dish: Pies
- Main Ingredient: Almonds, Apple, Walnuts
- Difficulty: Easy
- Cuisine: American
- Equipment Needed: Food Processor
- Rainbow Green Cuisine: Phase 2
- Serves: 6
This recipe is so simple and tasty and you're likely to have all the ingredients in your kitchen already. A raw vegan apple pie warmed up with cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice, finished with a dolup of almond butter based caramel sauce.
1 cup walnuts
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup raisins
4 tablespoons agave
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
4 tablespoons almond butter
2 tablespoons agave
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons water
1) Peel and slice the apples into pieces about 1/8 in thick. In a lidded container (I used a zip lock box), toss the apples and 1/2 cup raisins with the agave, lemon juice, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice until well coated. Spread out on a lined dehydrator sheet and dry for about 2 hours, stirring once or twice. This isn't meant to dry the apples, but to soften them and let the flavor intensify.
2) In a food processor fitted with the "S" blade, process the walnuts and 1 cup raisins until the mix starts to stick together. This takes a couple minutes. Press the mix into the bottom and 2 inches up the sides of an 8 inch spring form pan. Put in the freezer for a half hour to firm.
3) In a bullet type blender, puree the almond butter, agave, olive oil, and water until very smooth.
4) Spoon the apple mixture from the dehydrator into the chilled pie crust and pour the caramel evenly on top. Chill for another half hour, if desired. For extra creamy goodness, serve with a scoop of vanilla banana ice cream.