Carrot Goji Cake with Spicy Icing
- Course/Dish: Cakes
- Meals: Breakfast, Snack
- Main Ingredient: Carrots, Goji Berries, Dates
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Cuisine: American
- Equipment Needed: Blender, Food Processor
- Rainbow Green Cuisine: Phase 2
- Makes: 1, 9" cake
If you've never tried a raw foodie version of carrot cake, you are in for a treat! Fresh, sweet carrots lend themselves perfectly to a moist, fluffy and nicely spiced cake. I love to use goji berries in place of traditional raisins for their superfood qualities and pretty, bright color. The pecan based icing is beautifully rich and creamy with fresh ginger, vanilla bean and cinnamon to spice things up.
Carrot Goji Cake:
4 large carrots
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of salt
9 pitted Medjool dates
3/4 cup raw coconut flour
1/4 cup goji berries + additional for garnishing, if desired
1-1/2 cups pecans, soaked for 4 hours, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup raw honey or agave
2 vanilla beans
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger
pinch of salt
For the Cake:
1) Peel and roughly chop the carrots. You should have around 1-1/4 cups after chopping.
2) Place the carrots in your food processor fit with the s-blade. Process to finely chop.
3) Add the coconut oil, cinnamon, vanilla, ginger, nutmeg and salt to the food processor and process until smooth.
4) While the processor is running, add the dates, one at a time.
5) When the batter is smooth and all ingredients are evenly distributed, add the coconut flour and process well.
6) Scrape into a bowl and mix in 1/4 cup of goji berries.
7) Press the cake mixture evenly into an 8-9" round silicone or spring form pan.
8) Place in the freezer for 2-3 hours to set.
For the Spicy Icing:
1) Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender. Blend on high until very smooth.
2) Place in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to set.
1) Remove the cake from the pan and place on a serving platter.
2) Frost the top and sides of the cake evenly with the Spicy Icing.
3) Decorate with goji berries in a way that inspires you.
Store in the refrigerator, or freezer for longer storage. Serve a room temperature. Enjoy with pleasure!