Cherry Banana Bonanza
- Course/Dish: Ice Cream
- Meals: Breakfast
- Main Ingredient: Dates, Banana
- Difficulty: Easy
- Equipment Needed: Food Processor
- Rainbow Green Cuisine: Phase 2
- Makes: 2 breakfast or 4 snack-size parfaits
Chef Lisa Pitman of Vegan Culinary Crusade says, "with just seven ingredients, a food processor and ten minutes you can create a cherry concoction that will delight your little ones and please your palate. Since this sensational sweet is made entirely of fruit, nuts and whole grains feel free to serve it up for breakfast, an afternoon snack or an evening treat." Lisa also notes that if you have children this is the perfect recipe to get them involved with in the kitchen! It is fun and vibrant and loaded with healthy nutrients and energy for a growing body and they will definitely ask for seconds!
4 Medjool dates, pitted
zest and 1 TBSP of juice from 1 orange
1/4 cup raw pecans
1/4 cup rolled oats
2 TBSP dried cherries
1 cup pitted cherries
2 bananas, peeled and frozen
2 pinches of sea salt
1) Add to a food processor, two dates and the orange zest. Pulse to finely chop the dates. Add the pecans, oats, dried cherries and a pinch of salt. Pulse to create a granola-like texture. Remove and set aside. Rinse the food processor.
2) In the clean food processor combine the cherries, orange juice, the remaining two dates and a pinch of salt. Blend until completely smooth. Remove and set aside. Rinse the food processor.
3) In the clean food processor blend the two frozen bananas until a soft-serve ice cream texture is achieved. Don’t be afraid if it jumps around and turns into chunks at first. Be patient. Let it blend. A perfectly smooth, luscious cream will be created after about 5 minutes.
4) Divide half of each component between two large or four small glasses, adding one layer at a time. Repeat the layers to use up the remaining components. Serve with a spoon!