Chocolate Banana Coconut Cream Pie
- Course/Dish: Pies
- Main Ingredient: Chocolate, Young Coconut, Almonds, Avocado, Dates, Banana
- Difficulty: Easy
- Cuisine: American
- Equipment Needed: Food Processor
- Rainbow Green Cuisine: Phase 2
- Makes: 1 glorious pie
Enter into a state of blissful nirvana by cozying up to a slice of this epic raw banana cream pie by chef Emily Von Euw of This Rawsome Vegan Life! A nut and date crust is topped with layers of dark, rich chocolate avocado pudding, fresh slices of ripe banana, and fluffy, white coconut whipped cream. Does it get any better than this? Nope!
1 1/2 cups nuts (try a combination of almond and pecan)
1 1/2 cups dates
Salt and/or vanilla, if you want
1/3 cup agave
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 cup cocoa/cacao
2 Tb mesquite (optional)
2 Tb melted coconut oil
1 can chilled full fat coconut milk (for a 100% raw version you can blend young Thai coconut meat with coconut oil and let it set in the fridge until firm)
3 Tb raw powdered sugar (coconut sugar ground in a food processor works well!
Seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean
To make the crust
1) pulse nuts in food processor until they're the size of crumbs.
2) Add dates and pulse until it lumps together. Feel free to add cinnamon, salt, vanilla or more sweetener here.
3) Press into your favorite pie pan and stick in the fridge.
To make the chocolate cream
1) blend/process all ingredients until silky smooth. Nom. I could just eat this.
2) Now slice 3-4 bananas and put them on the bottom of the crust.
3) Spoon on the chocolate cream and put on another player of banana slices. Set in the fridge again.
Right before serving
1) CAREFULLY take out coconut milk from the fridge. Spoon off the thick fat from the top - you want this. (There was about 1/2 a can left of milk when I got all the thick stuff.)
2) Put the milk you spooned out into a mixing bowl (Kitchen Aid) with the sugar and beat until thick and fluffy!
3) Spoon onto your pie and voila! Enjoy.