Essence of Spring Strawberry Tart
- Course/Dish: Pies
- Meals: Breakfast, Snack
- Main Ingredient: Lemon, Mint, Cashews, Almonds, Strawberry, Banana, Walnuts
- Difficulty: Easy
- Cuisine: American
- Equipment Needed: Food Processor
- Rainbow Green Cuisine: Phase 2
- Serves: 10-12
It's just amazing how some foods can instantly transport you to a warm, sunny location with just one bite. Fresh ripe strawberries are definitely one of those foods. This springtime inspired tart recipe is the creation of raw vegan chef extraordinaire Lisa Pitman, and is the absolute perfect mix of flavors to induce that comforting feeling that Summer is right around the corner. In this recipe fresh succulent strawberries and finely chopped mint top a layer of sweet cashew banana cream and a crust of raw almonds, walnuts, dates and vanilla. Spring never tasted so sweet!
1 cup raw almond
1/2 cup raw walnuts
1/3 cup Medjool dates, pitted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt
1/4 cup cashews
1 frozen banana, peeled
zest of 1 lemon
2 TBSP water
2 cups strawberries, chopped
1 TBSP agave syrup (optional)*
4 leaves fresh mint
1 TBSP shredded coconut
1) In a food processor pulse the almonds and walnuts into a coarse meal. Add the dates, vanilla and sea salt, and pulse to combine. The crust should hold together when firmly pressed between your thumb and fingers. Distribute evenly in a medium sized tart pan (a springform pan would also work well).
2) In a food processor churn the cashews into a paste. Add the remaining filling ingredients and blend until smooth. Spread an even layer of the filling into the prepared tart pan – an off-set spatula works well for this task.
3) Top the creamy filling with the chopped strawberries, a chiffonade of mint and a spring of coconut.
4) Chopping the strawberries allows for a rustic sprinkle across the tart. Thinly slicing the berries would allow for a more artistic arrangement. To chiffonade the mint, simple roll up the leaves into a cigar shape and thinly slice widthwise.
5) Chill the tart until ready to serve.
*If your strawberries need a boost of sweetness, toss in agave before topping the tart.