Lemon Poppy Seed Ice Cream with Strawberry Sauce
- Course/Dish: Ice Cream
- Meals: Snack
- Main Ingredient: Lemon, Strawberry, Banana, Walnuts
- Difficulty: Easy
- Cuisine: American
- Equipment Needed: Food Processor
- Rainbow Green Cuisine: Phase 2
- Serves: 2
Ice cream season is in full swing and what better way to welcome in the heat than with a totally simple (yet amped up in flavor) banana soft serve recipe complete with fresh succulent strawberry sauce. This recipe contains poppy seeds and the juice and zest of lemon for a unique twist on the classic banana ice cream. These added ingredients bring a summery, refreshing flavor and the poppy seeds add a fun crunch.
4 bananas, sliced and frozen ($.60)
juice and zest of one lemon ($.69)
1 tablespoon poppy seeds ($.30)
1 cup strawberries ($.45)
1 tablespoon agave ($.10)
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts ($.15)
Banana Ice Cream:
1) In a food processor fitted with an "S" blade, process the frozen bananas and lemon juice and zest until creamy like soft serve ice cream. It can take a bit of prodding and scraping to get the bananas going in the food processor, but it's worth it.
2) Once creamy, add the poppy seeds and give a whir or two to incorporate.
1) In a bullet type blender, puree the strawberries and agave until very smooth.
*The strawberry sauce should be made first and set aside.