Mock Tuna Salad
- Course/Dish: Main Course, Salads, Appetizers
- Meals: Lunch, Dinner, Snack
- Main Ingredient: Lemon, Seaweed, Avocado, Bell Pepper, Onion
- Difficulty: Easy
- Cuisine: American
- Equipment Needed: Food Processor
- Rainbow Green Cuisine: Phase 1
- Serves: 3
A completely tasty and filing savory dish by Rachael Campbell with a lot of versatility! If you're looking to make your salads more substantial try adding a scoop of this mock tuna salad. It is full of healthy proteins and fats to keep you feeling satisfied, and the nuts and seeds are soaked beforehand for ultimate nutrition and ease of digestion. This also makes a great filling for wraps such as nori rolls, a delicious dip paired with sliced veggies, or a spread on raw crackers.
1 cup sunflower seeds (soak for 2hrs, rinse and drain)
1 cup almonds blanched (soak 24hrs, change water twice a day, rinse and drain) blanched meaning skinned
3/4 cup lemon juice
1-2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup celery finely chopped
1/2 cup red capsicum finely chopped
1/2 cup spring onion chopped
1/2 cup coriander chopped fresh
1/2 cup dill chopped fresh
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
dulse flakes to taste
celtic sea salt and pepper to taste
1) Soak sunflower seeds for 2 hours in bowl with cold water then rinse.
2) Soak almonds for 24hrs in bowl with cold water, celtic sea salt, change water twice a day, rinse and drain into large bowl.
3) Take a kettle full of hot water, pour it over the almonds, let them sit for a minute or two, and then drain water. Find an almond that’s skin seems to have slipped away a little from the nut, squeeze the nut between your thumb and forefinger, the nut should squeeze its way out of the skin. Now you have a blanched almond, continue this for all almonds.
4) Blend sunflower seeds, almonds, lemon juice and water in food processor or thermomix to a paste consistency. Place ingredients into large mixing bowl.
5) Chop celery, red capsicum, spring onion, coriander, dill, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, dulse flakes and chili flakes, mix through paste. Add celtic sea salt and pepper to taste.
Fresh dill, coriander, and red capsicum