Parsnip Rice with Spring Peas, Hemp Seeds, and Basil
- Course/Dish: Main Course, Salads, Appetizers
- Meals: Lunch, Dinner
- Main Ingredient: Lemon, Hemp Seeds, Basil
- Difficulty: Easy
- Equipment Needed: Food Processor
- Rainbow Green Cuisine: Phase 1.5
- Serves: 2 generously
Finely shredded parsnip rice combines with the fresh flavor of basil and green peas in this lovely and light yet filling dinner entree by Gena Hemshaw. She has kept the amount of oil to a minimum, only using 1 tbs to lightly drizzle over the salad, and the dressing is simply a spritz of fresh lemon juice. Hemp seeds add a wonderful nutty flavor and tons of health promoting essential fats and amino acids as well as a host of many wonderful minerals. Delicately seasoned with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, this is the perfect accompaniment to a light dinner tonight!
1 heaping cup fresh green peas (frozen is also fine)
1 lb parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
2 tbsp hemp seeds
1/4 tsp sea salt
Dash of black pepper
1 tbsp hemp oil (your favorite high quality oil is fine here: flax, sacha inchi, avocado, olive…)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Small handful (about 1/4 cup) chopped fresh basil
1. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Blanch the peas until bright green and tender. Submerge in ice water to stop cooking and preserve color; drain and set aside.
2. Place parsnips, hemp seeds, sea salt, and pepper in a food processor. Process till the mixture is finely chopped, and resembles rice.
3. Turn parsnip mixture into a bowl, and toss with the peas, hemp oil, lemon, and basil. Done!