- Course/Dish: Main Course, Soups
- Meals: Lunch, Dinner
- Main Ingredient: Carrots, Mushrooms, MIso, Zucchini, Onion
- Difficulty: Easy
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Equipment Needed: Spiral Slicer
- Rainbow Green Cuisine: Phase 2
- Serves: 2
Nothing comforts the soul like a bowl of warm, nourishing soup. If you thought that adopting a raw food diet meant you'd never again be able to warm up with a bowl of soup you are mistaken! This recipe by Jennifer Cornbleet combines zucchini "soba" style noodles with spinach, delicate strips of carrot and crimini mushroom, and a light broth made with mellow white miso and a dash of tamari or shoyu. Finish the presentation with a sprinkle of sliced green onion and sip away! This recipe calls for boiled water, but you may also choose to heat the water up only slightly and let your veggies steep for a bit longer to become softened. Try adding a few different sea vegetables into your broth as well like strips of nori sheets or dulse. You could also choose to add a bit of tahini to your broth if you desire something a bit more filling.
2 1/4 cups water
1⁄2 cup baby spinach leaves, tightly packed
1⁄2 cup thinly sliced carrot (1⁄2 carrot)
1/2 cup thinly sliced cremini mushrooms
1 zucchini, peeled
2 tablespoons mellow white miso
1/2 teaspoon shoyu or tamari
2 teaspoons thinly sliced green onion
1) Cut the zucchini into thin noodles using a vegetable spiral slicer. Alternatively, use a vegetable peeler to create long ribbons by drawing the peeler down all sides of the zucchini until you reach the core.
2) Place 2 cups of the water and the spinach, carrots, and mushrooms in a small saucepan. Cover and turn on the heat to medium-high . Just as the vegetables and water begin to boil, remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
3) Combine the remaining 1/4 cup of water with the miso in a small mixing bowl. Whisk with a fork until blended. Add the miso mixture, zucchini noodles, green onions, shoyu, and salt to the water and vegetables and stir until well combined. Serve immediately.