Raw Cashew Cheese
- Course/Dish: Appetizers
- Meals: Lunch, Snack
- Main Ingredient: Cashews
- Difficulty: Easy
- Equipment Needed: Blender
- Serves: 4-6
The cashew cream cheese is particularly versatile. I've even used this recipe to create a delightfully tart raw mango cheesecake. So, I leave you today with the simple recipe. I hope you'll use it in good faith and get yourself to lots of soirées this season.
2 cups cashews, soaked 4 hours
1 tsp probiotic powder
Approximately ½ cup water
2 tsp nutritional yeast
½ tsp sea salt
1. Drain and rinse the cashews.
2. In a blender combine the cashews and probiotic powder. Blend the cashews adding water as necessary, just enough to get is super smooth.
3. In a strainer lined with cheesecloth allow the cashew cheese to ferment for 24 hours. Pick a warm place, like inside your oven with the light on or the top of your refrigerator to further promote the fermentation.
4. Stir in the nutritional yeast and sea salt.
5. Roll into a log shape, wrap in parchment paper or plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
6. Before serving roll in fresh herbs of your choice.
Believe it or not this cashew cheese also freezes well, so if you're anticipating a busy social schedule in the near future you can easily stock up.