Raw Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with Chaga
- Course/Dish: Ice Cream
- Meals: Snack
- Main Ingredient: Cashews, Mushrooms
- Difficulty: Easy
- Equipment Needed: Blender
- Rainbow Green Cuisine: Phase 2
- Serves: 4
Don't shy away from this cashew vanilla bean ice cream recipe because it has mushroom in it! Chaga is a very mild, earthy, subtle flavored mushroom and works perfectly with the sweetness of vanilla. This lovely combination of ingredients is equal parts medicine and decadence because chaga has so many important health promoting aspects, but the ice cream it'self is delicious! Chaga is revered in Chinese medicine as one of the most powerful anti-cancer substances known to man.
1/4 cup raisins, soaked in water until plump
2 cup chaga tonic liquid (or purified water)
2 cups raw cashews, soaked for about 4 hours
1 cup raw agave (coconut syrup or maple syrup would also be nice)
1/4 tsp pure vanilla bean
pinch of Himalayan salt
1) Blend your soaked cashews first with only some of the liquid to ensure that the mixture is smooth. Then add the rest of the ingredients.
2) Refrigerate for at least 4 hours so that the mixture is cold before using your ice cream maker. I recommend over night.
3) Follow the manufacturer’s directions for your ice cream machine and enjoy!
More about chaga from Mandi's friend Lee at Truly Organic Food: “The chaga mushroom is well known for its full spectrum of immune stimulating phytochemicals. It is also high in betulin or betulinic acid which is a chemotherapeutic agent, which is why the pharmaceutical industry is interested in it and is currently doing many tests on it’s constituents. Chaga is best consumed in it’s natural stated as a tea tonic, that has had time to brew over 20 hours.”