Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Course/Dish: Salads, Appetizers
- Meals: Lunch, Dinner, Snack
- Main Ingredient: Lemon
- Difficulty: Easy
- Rainbow Green Cuisine: Phase 2
- Serves: 1
Ever questioned whether there's anything that can be done with brussel sprouts in their raw state? The answer is make this delicious shredded brussel sprout salad with a sweet and tangy olive oil, lemon and agave (or maple syrup) dressing and a sprinkling of sunflower seeds and raisins! Brussel sprouts are in the brassica family and are very rich in phytonutrients called glucosinolates. These are special compounds that have been shown to protect our cells from various mutations. All cruciferous vegetables have glucosinolates but brussel sprouts contain higher levels than even mustard greens, kale, broccoli, cabbage or cauliflower. We recommend eating these nutritional all-stars on a regular basis, starting of course with this amazing salad!
1 C. Brussels Sprouts, thinly sliced
1-2 Tbs. Raisins (dried cranberries would also work)
1-2 Tbs. Roasted, Lightly Salted Sunflower Seeds
Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
1/2 Tbs. Olive Oil
1/2 Tbs. Agave (or Honey/Maple Syrup)
1) In a bowl, toss together the sliced brussels sprouts, raisins, and sunflower seeds.
2) To make the dressing, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, and agave.
3) Pour dressing over greens and toss to coat.
A little mustard would be great in this dressing, if you wanted to create more of a honey mustard flavor.