Zucchini Rolls with Sunflower Seeds Pate, Sun Dried Tomatoes and Spinach
- Course/Dish: Appetizers
- Meals: Lunch, Dinner, Snack
- Main Ingredient: Tomato, Zucchini, Basil, Spinach, Macadamia Nuts, Tahini
- Difficulty: Easy
- Equipment Needed: Blender
- Serves: 12
Filling and flavorful bite sized zucchini rolls with a soaked sunny seed pate! This recipe by Chris Anca of Tales of a Kitchen makes a great appetizer, addition to a simple summer meal, or a low glycemic and easy to digest veggie based snack with plenty of protein and healthy fat to leave you feeling nourished.
For sunflower seeds pate:
1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked for 2 hours
4 TBSP good olive oil
2 TBSP tahini
4.5 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
sea salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
chili flakes, to taste
For the rolls:
1 big zucchini, cut into flat thin strips (you should get around 12)
12 spinach leaves, medium sized
12 basil leaves
6 sun dried tomatoes, cut into fine strips
½ cup sprouted buckwheat*
1) Sprinkle salt on the zucchini strips and let them sit for 5 to10 mins.
2) To make the sunflower seeds pate add all the ingredients for the pate to a high speed blender and blitz until you get a creamy mix.
3) Scoop pate in a bowl and season to taste.
Rinse the zucchini to get rid of the excessive salt and pat them dry to eliminate moisture.
4) Prepare all the ingredients for the rolls and begin to assemble. To make one roll add: 1 slice zucchini, 1 TBSP pate spread on the surface of the zucchini slice, 1 tsp sprouted buckwheat (gently press this into the pate so it does not scatter all over). Place in the middle 2-3 sun dried tomato strips, 1 spinach leaf, 1 basil leaf and roll. Pin them with toothpicks.
They are best served fresh but keep well in the fridge for 1 day or so.
*If you don’t have sprouted buckwheat and you don’t have time to make some right this minute, don’t worry. You can substitute with more sunflower seeds, or pine nuts, other seeds you like, or even some roughly chopped nuts like walnuts or macadamia.